Well! We had a beautiful and enjoyable vacation in Sedona, AZ. But I don't have a whole lot to report on the food front of late... the fridge was pretty empty before we left, and I did just a quick shopping trip on Monday to get us through til Saturday when we get our next CSA share.
However- I was counting on coming home to a nice bumper crop of ripe tomatoes in the yard, to be put to good use in our meals this week. This was not to be. The nasty groundhog who has been MIA all summer (is it horrible that I was hoping he'd, uh, passed on?) apparently made his return while we were away, and he seems to have taken his time sampling each ripe tomato and then tossing it aside. Argh! I also suspect him of sampling my tomatillos, the little creep. At least he doesn't seem to like my herbs (yet).
I did want to mention that a few items from our last CSA share were still in the fridge post-vacation, and still in very good condition- including green beans and a bunch of chard. I had forgotten to check the crisper drawer before we left, and expected those things to be a wilted mess when I discovered them. But no, they were still nice and crisp and so we ate them up. This is a bonus of CSA membership- the produce is so fresh, picked the day you receive it, that it lasts longer in your fridge at home. Unlike much supermarket produce that may have been picked weeks ago and trucked across the country before finding its way into your shopping cart! Of course I prefer to eat things when they're as fresh as possible, but it was nice to find that the forgotten items in the fridge didn't have to go to waste.
More on Saturday when we pick up this week's share!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Back from vacation...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome home!
That is definitely a benefit of CSA membership -- all that fresh produce waits so very patiently when life gets in the way!
Fie to the groundhog! We have a squirrel who wreaks similar mischief in our garden. It's a competition to see who gets the delicious ripe tomatoes first!
Post a Comment