Sunday, August 31, 2008

CSA week 14


A good week, though we were disappointed that there wasn't any watermelon, and that sauce tomatoes aren't ready yet.

I don't know why there is a granola bar in this week's picture- all I can say is that I had helper when I was laying out the produce for the photo.

Here's the list:

  • 1 bunch basil
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 2 peppers
  • 2 hot peppers
  • 1/4 lb. chard
  • 2 summer squash
  • 2 eggplant
  • 1 head garlic
  • 1 pint tomatillos
  • 1 pint edamame
  • 1/2 pint each raspberries and blackberries
  • 1/2 lb. grape tomatoes
  • 7 lbs. tomatoes (heirloom and slicing)- not pictured, forgot to unpack them until later!
  • 50 stems flowers

Lemongrass was available this week, but I forgot to get it!

The basil has already become- you guessed it!- PESTO, which we used last night to sauce some gemelli pasta tossed with thinly sliced potatoes and green beans. Linguine with pesto, potatoes and green beans is a traditional preparation in Italy, and I usually make it once a year when we have fresh pesto on hand. Sliced heirloom tomatoes made a nice accompaniment.

I used the hot peppers and tomatillos to make a roasted tomatillo salsa, and I steamed the edamame pods, removed the beans, and froze them for later use.

We'll use the summer squash, eggplant, peppers and more tomatoes tonight- I plan to grill them and serve with a rice pilaf and some basil mayonnaise. Mmmm.

No comments: