
I often ask Jason if he has any "requests" as I make my menu plan each week. His requests vary, but when we get those first really warm days in May or so, he'll ask "Is it too early for panzanella?" And I'll say "Yes. Still too early." And then we'll wait and wait until the local tomatoes are ripe and there's plenty of basil in the yard- mid-July or so- THEN it's time for panzanella, and we eat it frequently all summer.
I love panzanella. This is another recipe I got from my mom that's so simple, you don't really need a recipe, and I no longer remember if the way I make it even vaguely resembles the way she makes it. It's a great summer dish- no cooking, just some quick assembly followed by sitting down at the table to enjoy the flavors of summer.
Panzanella, my way:
- Good bread- we like sourdough, but I think Italian is more authentic. French bread works too. Cut the bread into 1" cubes, or tear it into bite-size pieces.
- Tomatoes- nice meaty juicy ones are best; core and dice them into pieces about the same size as the bread. Toss the tomatoes in a bowl with the bread cubes so that the bread can absorb the tomato juices.
- Cheese- we use mozzarella, cut into 1/2" cubes. Use as much or as little as you want.
- Fresh basil leaves, washed and torn into pieces
Proportions are entirely up to you. We like about 2 parts bread: 2 parts tomatoes: 1 part cheese, and always a generous handful of basil. You can stop with these basic ingredients, or add some diced cucumber and/or just a bit of minced red onion.
Toss everything together in a big bowl. Whisk together equal amounts of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (I start with 1/3 cup of each; extra can always become the base of tomorrow's salad dressing). Drizzle some of the dressing onto the salad and toss to evenly coat the ingredients. The bread should be moist but not soggy; add more dressing as needed. Let stand for at least a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
One of the most successful dinner parties I ever threw included panzanella, corn on the cob, sliced watermelon, and ice cream sandwiches made with homemade chocolate chip cookies. Ridiculously easy, but it captured summer perfectly.
2 comments:
Yum! We tried Barefoot Contessa's Panzanella recipe (from her Parties book) for the barbecue yesterday. I'd never made it before, and we both fell in love with it. It was a bit more involved then your recipe, but I will try yours soon!
Ah! Panzanella!
I'm with you... we can't yank out the panzanella until some really great tomatoes are waiting for us out in the garden.
Still waiting...
Post a Comment