We already had several summer squashes sitting in the fridge. More arrived on Saturday via our CSA share. On Sunday I went to poke around in our garden and discovered 5 more large ones, two of which are approximately the size of billy clubs. Oops! So, we've got a lot of creative eating to do!
Last night's dinner was veggie fajitas. I love fajitas. Back in my omnivorous days, I loved steak fajitas. Now, I like to order them when a vegetarian version is available (which is usually, but not always). However, some vegetarian versions are better than others- I think the worst one I had was literally composed of a bag of frozen vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and crinkle-cut carrots) sauteed in what appeared to be a stick of butter. Urgh. MY version is yummy and un-fussy and does not include any cruciferous OR frozen vegetables.
As it happens, the fajitas I make at home always include zucchini, so it was a natural for this week of summer squash abundance. I sliced white onions from the farm into strips. Ditto for a red and a yellow bell pepper. I quartered two zucchini (one green, one yellow) lengthwise, then stripped the seeds away from each quarter (probably not necessary if your squash is on the small-medium side; mine were quite large and thus quite seedy). Then I cut the squash into 3-inch-long strips.
Each vegetable- onions, peppers, squash- gets seared separately in a blazing hot cast-iron skillet with a bit of vegetable oil and a dash of salt. I cook them til just barely tender- I want the veggies to retain some color and crunch. Then I toss them all together for a minute or so more, sprinkling with chili powder, cumin and a little lime juice.
The other components are warm flour tortillas, diced avocado (sometimes homemade guacamole, but not last night), shredded cheddar, sour cream, and a good tomato salsa.
Last night's salsa was freshly made by me, and I was going to excitedly report that every ingredient was fresh and local, but I forgot about the squeeze of lime juice- the lime came from Mexico. Oh well- the salsa was still terrific. I seeded and diced two medium tomatoes, added some finely chopped raw white onion, two small jalapenos, seeded and minced, and a handful of fresh cilantro leaves. A pinch of salt and a touch of lime finished it off. The jalapenos were from our home garden and it turns out they're oh-my-gosh SPICY. I will have to remember that next time I use some!
And the result? Mmmmmm, fajitas. And also, 2 zucchini down! Many more to go.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Veggie fajitas (aka Our Week in Zucchini, Day 1)
Labels:
cooking at home
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We do love the spice around our house, so these sound fabulous.
It's so lovely that we've finally reached the portion of the growing season when all the ingredients for salsa are in season.
And oh! how we love those versatile zucchini!!
Post a Comment