Wednesday, June 25, 2008

CSA Week 5

Oy. As you can see, I'm a bit behind. We had visitors for the weekend, and then I toddler-wrangled on my own for two days while Jason was out of town. As a result, while I spent about as much time as usual on cooking and eating, I had a lot less time to write about cooking and eating.

In the past few days we...

  • Bought 6 quarts of strawberries from a local farm to make sorbet, jam, and have some for the freezer
  • Had our first local Jersey blueberries of the season, enjoying them in blueberry pancakes and a yummy blueberry pudding cake
  • Harvested a few jalapenos and our first summer squash from our own garden
And we took our visitors along to the farm on Saturday for our produce pick-up. There were no you-pick crops this week, so the pick-up was quick but bountiful, and still very, very green.


The haul:
  • 4 heads of lettuce- 2 green leaf and 2 deer tongue
  • 1 bunch of basil- first of the season, hooray!
  • 2 pieces broccoli
  • 3 summer squash
  • 6 garlic scapes
  • 2 bunches kale (had a choice of kale or collards)
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2 lb. baby chard
We are awash in lettuce at the moment- still have one of last week's heads plus this week's share, for a total of 5 heads of lettuce in the fridge. Not sure we'll make it through all of them, unless I find a good recipe for lettuce soup or find that some genius has figured out how to perfectly preserve lettuce in the freezer. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: