Saturday, May 31, 2008

CSA Week 2

You'll notice that today's photo of our produce looks a lot like last week's photo. It's only the second week of the season, so the produce is minimal. Don't worry, there'll be lots more as the temperatures rise!

Today's haul:

  • 1 1/2 quarts strawberries (and today they were perfectly ripe- yum!)
  • 2 large heads looseleaf lettuce (we chose one greenleaf and one redleaf variety)
  • 1/8 lb. arugula (which is more than it sounds like- enough for a nice salad)
  • 16 stems of flowers (Sweet William)
  • Assorted pick-your-own herbs- we didn't take any today
Why didn't I get the herbs? Well, some of the varieties are things I don't have much use for unless I want to get creative with hyssop, horehound or catnip (I could create a feral cat frenzy in my neighborhood- no thanks). I grow a lot of my own herbs, like chives, oregano, tarragon, sage, thyme and rosemary so I don't usually get those at the farm unless I need a large quantity for something. Later in the season some varieties that interest me more will be available (assorted basils, lemongrass) and I'll definitely pick those.

We were expecting big thunderstorms today, possibly with hail, and thus there was the prospect of crop damage (all those almost-ripe berries out there- oh no!!) but the storms kind of fizzled, so we hope that means plenty of berries next week after all. Here's a photo of the strawberry fields at the farm:

No comments: