Sunday, July 13, 2008

CSA Weeks 7& 8- Two, two, two weeks in one!

I'm awfully behind. And I'm about to leave town for a week, too. But here are the CSA hauls for last week (week 7) and this week (week 8).

Week 7:


  • 1/2 lb. baby chard
  • 6 cucumbers
  • 3 zucchini
  • 1 bunch onions
  • Basil
  • Dill (Basil and dill were part of a choice group, but I have no memory of what the other options were!)
  • 2 heads lettuce
And Week 8:



  • 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
  • 1/4 lb. chard
  • 1 bunch beets
  • 1 bunch basil (basil and beets were from a choice group that also included radicchio, parsley and cilantro)
  • 1 head fresh garlic
  • 3 cucumbers
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 heads lettuce
On the way home from the CSA farm, we also picked up our first local sweet corn of the season. I used the corn and some of the potatoes to make a really yummy corn chowder for last night's dinner.

Since I won't be home this week, and I figure Jason and Ryan won't be doing much cooking, I blanched and chopped the chard and added it to my freezer stash. I combined the basil with some from my garden and made a large batch of pesto for the freezer. I also made a batch of Zucchini-Pineapple bread, which took care of the squash (more on that in a future post). The potatoes and beets will keep til I get back, and maybe Jason'll eat a salad or two with lots of cucumber while I'm away. We'll see!

No comments: