Eeeesh. It is HOT today. It was hot yesterday, it's hot today, and it's going to be over 95 and humid for at least two more days. It's not even summer yet, darn it! It's still spring- as evidence, see my pea harvest? Peas are SPRING vegetables. Go away, heat wave!
I had one of my favorite breakfasts today: Greek-style yogurt with sliced strawberries, crumbled cereal (Cinnamon Life, today), and a generous drizzle of honey. Cool and healthy. This is even better with a small scoop of crunchy granola instead of the cereal, but I used what I had on hand today and it was delicious.
I got up early today and watered the vegetable beds and hanging baskets. Wouldn't you know, about an hour later, we had a surprise totally-not-in-the-forecast downpour. But I think the plants probably welcome any and all water on days like this!
Unsurprisingly, in heat like this, the spinach plants started to bolt, so I harvested them all. Now I have a total of 1 1/2 lbs. of spinach in the fridge- 3/4 lb. from the farm, and 3/4 lb. from the yard. What to make, what to make?
Despite my insistence that it's still spring, I think we're nearing the end of our pea harvest. Heat causes the pea plants to stop producing. I harvested 1 pint Friday evening, and an additional 1 1/2 quarts this morning. The pint from Friday disappeared quickly- I showed Ryan how to pop open the pods and use his finger to zip the peas right out into a bowl. Ryan added a step of his own: eat all peas, then repeat with new pod. He was having a lot of fun, and hey, they're PEAS, not jelly beans, right? So, 1 pint down. He even asked for more peas along with his sandwich at lunch time today. I'm bursting with pride.
Dinner tonight will be decidedly uncooked and cooling, and it's gonna have to incorporate some greens- come back tomorrow to see what we made!
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Feeling hot, hot, hot
Labels:
home garden
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment