Friday, April 25, 2008

Why "The Vicarious Farmer?"

Well, it's April in New Jersey, and almost time to start heading out to our CSA farm once a week to pick up our share of produce. Every year I look forward to the CSA produce, and all the fresh locally grown stuff at farmer's markets. As each fruit and vegetable comes into season, it's a treat to be savored while it lasts. Local asparagus is available now, and strawberries will start showing up in a month or so. Then cherries, and blueberries and SWEET CORN! Oh, how I love sweet corn. I do attempt to grow a few things in our yard, but for the most part we enjoy the fruits of others' hard labor- hence the title.

For the past few years I've thought it would be fun to document our weekly CSA shares and what we do with the produce. This year, I'm going to try blogging through the growing season, from now through November or so. I'm also planning to throw in some other seasonal posts about farmer's markets, cooking and our successes and failures in our own tiny home garden. So, we'll see what happens (see my "About Me" note re: lacking follow-through). I'll mostly be writing with family and friends in mind, but all readers are welcome!

No comments: